Thursday, September 1, 2011

Frankenstein movie post - Pratyusha Kancherla

Hey everyone! My name is Pratyusha Kancherla, a Neuroscience major. Writing whatever I feel in a blog is very new to me and I am really looking forward to it! The movie of Frankenstein we watched in class is the first time I’ve been exposed to any adaptation of Frankenstein so I can’t really compare it to anything else. As we said in class, by focusing on the main overall images, one of the main images that I was accosted with while watching the movie ‘Frankenstein’, directed by James Whale, was the gullibility of the human brain to associate the unknown with evil and to treat this unknown as they perceived it to be instead of finding out its true nature. The actions of Frankenstein, his assistant, and the townspeople portrayed just this disbelief towards the supposed “monster”. The “monster” was nothing more than a mere baby still learning about the world around it, but everyone presumed it to be evil and a criminal because they did not know what it was capable of. This tendency to fear the unknown seems to have carried over from many generations past and will influence us for many generations in the future too.

No comments:

Post a Comment